4.72.60 FIREWORKS DISCHARGING GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
It is the intention that citizens be allowed to enjoy the use of novelty and consumer fireworks. It is in the best interest of public safety that these restrictions are included to prevent or limit injuries and/or fire(s) caused by fireworks and their use in and around individuals, large gatherings or events, structures and the environment.
- No person under the age of 18 shall discharge a DOT 1.4 class fireworks without direct supervision by a parent or legal guardian.
- A person shall only discharge a fireworks device on real property they own or on property where consent has been expressly given. Fireworks shall not be discharged on City-owned or public property without authorization of the Keokuk City Council.
- Fireworks shall not be discharged by persons showing visible signs of, or who are determined to be intoxicated or under the influence of a drug or narcotic.
- Any person discharging a fireworks device assumes all responsibility for its operation and the consequences thereof. No person shall discharge a fireworks device in a reckless manner or manner likely to cause death, injury, fire, or property damage.
- No person shall discharge a fireworks device outside the following dates and hours:
June 1 thru July 8 from the hours of 9am until 10pm.
Exception: discharge hours are extended to 11 pm on July 4th only.
December 10 thru January 3 from the hours of 9am until 10pm
Exception: discharge hours are extended to 12:30am on January 1.
- It shall be unlawful to alter, remove, or discharge components of a fireworks device from its intended method of discharging.
- Sky lantern open flame devices are not permitted to be released within the city limits, except if tethered by a retrievable rope so long as the person discharging has control over the sky lantern.
- Exception: Fireworks displays may be approved as part of a special event permit issued by the Keokuk City Council. Inspections, Insurance, Display/Use types and Hours of use will apply.
- No person shall discharge or allow the use of fireworks to occur within 50 feet of an occupied structure in the city limits.
- No person shall discharge or allow the use of fireworks, including novelty, consumer or display types, within the proximity of others, or in areas where large public gatherings are present.
- No person shall discharge or allow the use, explosion or other discharge of fireworks in any commercial or industrial rated building zone within the city limits, without permission of the Fire Chief.
- Proximity for definition of this section shall mean within 10 feet of another individual, building/structure, or vehicle, unless a further distance is specifically given.